Environmental legislation in Hong Kong
- Air Pollution Control Ordinance (Cap.311)
- Dumping at Sea Ordinance (Cap.466)
- Environmental Impact Assessment Ordinance (Cap.499)
- Hazardous Chemicals Control Ordinance (Cap.595)
- Motor Vehicle Idling (Fixed Penalty) Ordinance (Cap. 611)
- Noise Control Ordinance (Cap. 400)
- Ozone Layer Protection Ordinance (Cap.403)
- Product Eco-responsibility Ordinance (Cap. 603)
- Town Planning Ordinance (Cap. 131)
- Waste Disposal Ordinance (Cap.354)
- Water Pollution Control Ordinance (Cap.358)
Environmental conventions in force and applicable to Hong Kong
- Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES), 1973, as amended in 1979
- Convention on Wetlands of International Importance especially as Waterfowl Habitat, 1971, as amended in 1982.
- Convention on the Conservation of Migratory Species of Wild Animals, 1979.
- Convention of Biological Diversity and Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety
- Conservation Concerning the Protection of the World Cultural and Natural Heritage, 1972
- Plant Protection Agreement for the Asia and Pacific Region, 1956, as amended in 1967, 1979 and 1983 (Article 1(a) only).
- International Convention for the Regulation of Whaling, 1946, as amended in 1956.
Hazardous chemicals and wastes
- Basel Convention on the Control of Transboundary Movements of Hazardous Wastes and their Disposal, 1989.
- Rotterdam Convention
- Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants
Ozone layer protection
- Vienna Convention for the Protection of the Ozone Layer, 1985, as supplemented by Protocol in 1987 (amended in 1990, 1992, 1997 and 1999).
- International Convention relating to Intervention on the High Seas in Cases of Oil Pollution Casualties, 1969, as supplemented in 1973 and as amended in 1991 and 1996.
- Protocol of 1992 to amend the International Convention on Civil Liability for Oil Pollution Damage, 1992, as amended in 2000.
- Protocol of 1992 to amend the International Convention on the Establishment of an International Fund for Compensation for Oil Pollution Damage, 1992, as amended in 2000.
- International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships, 1973, as modified and supplemented in 1978 (excluding Annex IV), as amended in 1984, 1985, 1987, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997,1999, 2000 and 2001.
- Convention on the Prevention of Marine Pollution by Dumping of Wastes and Other Matter, 1972, as amended in 1978 (Incineration), 1980, 1989 and 1993, and the 1996 Protocol.
- International Convention on Oil Pollution Preparedness, Response and Co-operation, 1990.
Links of interest
- Agricultural, Fisheries and Conservation Department, The Government of Hong Kong SAR
- Biodiversity and Nature Conservation Association
- Environmental Protection Department, The Government of Hong Kong SAR
- Hong Kong Geopark
- Hong Kong Country Parks Tree Walks
- Hong Kong Herbarium Net
- Myanmar Business Coalition on AIDS
- Town Planning Board